This morning my doorbell rang...early. Too early, I realized as I padded down the steps in my cinched up pink robe. Who does that? Who would ring my doorbell at 9 AM on a Tuesday? I opened the door, and to my surprise, no one was there. I looked up and down the street, but I couldn't see a soul. Who doorbell ditches a mom? I started back up the stairs and it rang again. This time I was fast! I spun around and flew open the door, and again....no one was there! What the...?
It was then that I looked down.
There, bunched up in a little wad were 7 or 8 dandelions sitting on my step.
I knew right away who it was. It was Dax.
Dax is my secret little admirer and he is constantly surprising me with random gifts and pictures and insects that he has caught....always JUST for me.
Tears filled my eyes when I caught sight of his bare feet, covered in excema and unmistakably his, hiding around the corner.
"Dax" I called, and he came out beaming. His smile melted my heart. It always does, with his funny little teeth and his eager to please expression. "It was me," he said.
I held him and picked him up just for a minute on the stoop and thanked God for him and his present.
His present of bunched up love.
4 comments:
That is the sweetest thing I've ever read. You're a good writer...no offense but I didn't know that, haha!
xo
Your term, "bunched up love," is poignant. It says everything that a Mom feels. Thank you for sharing. You touched my heart too, as does Dax. Your little twins are like nnnnnno other! You are lucky to end your family this way. You will feel it one day, I know.
That is so sweet! He's darling!!
Are you serious, 9am on a Tuesday, and that is too Early??
I cried again. You told me that story in person and I cried then. I need to get a grip. As we talked though we both are going through the last phase of baby-hood. Hard to watch and let go.
Post a Comment